Sunday, September 14, 2008

So, why a blog?

The truth of the matter is that I've been procastinating in starting my blog. I have several good reasons, too.

Simply, I have a life. I work. I'm married. I have a son. I have church duties. I have volunteer work. All of these things take time.

Also, I'm not that good at writing. I'm good at organizing my thoughts, but the words often escape me. There's plenty of poorly written blogs out there already. I don't want to add to the dint.

Finally, I just didn't think I had anything to say that anyone wanted to read.

But some simple moments in my life changed my opinions. None of them amount to a Damascus Road conversion, but they amount to slow conversion to putting my thoughts on my own forum. If other people want to follow it, great; if not, well, that's their choice.

As to my life, other people told me that they wish I told them more often what was happening in my life. Now, I could spend hours on the phone calling people --something I loathe. I could send hundreds of e-mails, clogging other people's in-boxes as much as my own is. I could get on Facebook and Twitter --which I done-- for those few people who are already on those social networking cites. Or I could start a blog.

As to my writing, my composition professor taught that the more you write you better you can write, emphasis on "can." As much as I still think myself not effective at this, I am going to hope that, with time, my writing will improve to the point of cogency.

As to having anything to say, what changed my opinion was, well, reading other blogs, including blogs from professional bloggers. When I saw how bad other blogs were written, including well followed blogs from paid bloggers, it dawned on me. "Self," I said to myself, "I can do better than these jokers." So let's see if I right. At worst, it's a diary that my son will grow up to what was on his father's mind back before he could talk.

I hope others enjoy the blog. If not, I hope I piss you off enough to comment --angry people always comment more.

No comments: