Saturday, November 8, 2008

Gay Marriage Bad; Abortion Good. Huh?

Full disclosure: I voted for Prop 4 and Prop 8. For those who aren't from California, count yourself lucky. Prop 4 was a parental notification referendum for minors seeking abortion, a referendum which enjoyed support even from pro-choicers like Arnold Schwartzenegger and Bill Handel. Prop 8 was a marriage constitutional amendment which defined marriage as between a man and a woman.

To recap, Prop 4 was defeated and Prop 8 passed. In examining the tallies, something bothered me: significant number of voters who voted against Prop 4 voted for Prop 8.

I can understand how someone could vote for both propositions. After all, that's what I did. I understand that, if someone supports the sanctity of life --albeit only on a personal level-- the sanctity of marriage naturally follows.

I can only understand --although vehemently disagree-- how someone could vote against both propositions. To highlight to the contrary, if someone opposes the sanctity of life, the sanctity of marriages naturally follows, likewise.

I can even understand how someone could vote for Prop 4 but against Prop 8. I may disagree with them on that issue, but I respect the fact that they have the priorities straight. The sanctity of life precedes all other rights, and, if one referendum is to go down to defeat, the marriage referendum makes more social sense. Let's face it; marriage is pretty messed up as it is. The worse thing that can be said of gay marriage is that they're hurting themselves.

I just can't get my head around voters who voted against Prop 4 but for Prop 8. What they are saying is that two men marrying each other is more damaging to our society than an abortionist murdering the pre-born. I can't my head around the logic of that. I'm not saying that I support gay marriage, but the worst thing you can say about it is that they're hurting themselves and no one else. Abortion murders an innocent life, and that hurts someone else other than the mother, father, grandparents, and abortionists who participate.

Maybe Aristotle ruined me. But, if logic keeps me from understanding anti-life, anti-gay marriage voters, so be it.

No comments: